from Revelation Reading
- This is a dramatic reading from Revelation encompassing the themes of redemption, resurrection, Second Coming, and eternal praise. It is particularly suited for worship services subsequent to Easter Sunday.
- It is written for a minimum of 4 people, although a much larger group could perform it.
- Several items deserve special attention
- When in succession, Speakers 1,2,3 may rush their lines, or even step on the lines of the previous speaker. The final stanza is particularly rhythmic: "power and wealth," "wisdom and strength" "honor and glory and praise"
- The exclamation, "The word of God" may be followed by one voice shouting "what?," in order to invite the repeated and more emphatic declaration, "THE WORD OF GOD!" The "what?" would be especially well assigned to one or more younger children, if the group has any. This is true also of the exclamation "Hallelujah" after "King of Kings and Lord of Lords."
- The exclamation, "King of kings, and Lord of Lords" should be said to the rhythm of the same words in the Hallelujah Chorus.
- The text is based on the NIV, but has been altered for dramatic purposes
Leader: Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come,
Speaker 1: and from the seven spirits before his throne,
All: and from Jesus Christ,
Speaker 2: the faithful witness
Speaker 3: the firstborn from the dead
All: and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
Leader: To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—
All: To him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.
Speaker 1: “Behold! He is coming with the clouds,”
All: and every eye will see him,
Speaker 2: even those who pierced him;
All: and all peoples on earth will mourn !
Speaker 3: So shall it be!
Leader: “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Speaker 1: I am the First and the Last.
Speaker 2: I am the Living One;
Speaker 3: I was dead, and behold!, I am alive for ever and ever!
All: And I hold the keys of death!
Leader: And I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called
All: Faithful and True.
Speaker 1: With justice he judges and wages war.
Speaker 2: His eyes are like blazing fire,
Speaker 3: and on his head are many crowns.
Leader: He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is called
All: The Word of God. (one or several voices: What?) THE WORD OF GOD!
Leader: The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations.
All: “He will rule them with iron.”
Leader: He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
All: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. (one or several voices: Hallelujah!)
Leader: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive
Speaker 1: power and wealth
Speaker 2: wisdom and strength
Speaker 3 honor and glory and praise!”
Leader: The Lord Jesus who testifies to these things says, “Yes! I am coming soon!”
All: Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Amen! Hallelujah! Amen!